Our Rainbow

Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011

Where was I when the world stopped turning...on that September day?

Wow, ten years has flown by in an instant it seems.  Baby, assuming you continue to grow and are born healthy we will some day share stories with you about the awful day on 9/11/01.

Ten years ago we were newlyweds living in our first place together.  Your daddy was still taking college classes and I was driving to work when I heard something on the radio that didn't quite make sense to my ears. I flipped a few stations and the same thing was being said everywhere. The first plane hit the Twin Towers in New York City. I drove quickly to work and watched it all play out on the T.V. in our break room. It was all everyone talked about that day.

Daddy was sitting in class when the first plane crashed and his professor made a comment about the media probably just making a big deal out of something like they usually tend to do. Daddy (along with several others in class) decided to ditch class and see what was happening to our country. He listened on the radio as it all played out.  We emailed each other back & forth about what was going on and talked to family later that day.

I remember that evening having a feeling of shock and disbelief. We sat on the couch, glued to our T.V. watching them replay over & over again the awful sight of the towers and all the plane crashes. I remember the gut-wrenching feeling for all the family members who lost someone that day.  For months the country seemed to unite more than ever and the endless images of that horrific scene were on T.V., the paper, the internet.  It was difficult to look at but we couldn't look away.

Today, ten years later, nobody has forgotten all that was lost. Lives, innocence, security. It's a different place now, little one.  We watched some footage this weekend which brought back so many emotions. Daddy asked me to stop crying because he didn't want me to get upset at the risk of harming you. Listening to so many families discuss how this happened ten years ago but it still feels like yesterday.  I can relate because as the eleventh month anniversary since your sister went to heaven approaches it still feels like yesterday that I was holding her in my arms.

Some day when you're old enough, we'll show you everything about 9-11 so you don't forget either.

No comments:

Post a Comment